Thursday, August 12, 2010

Refried Beans

I'm pretty sure this recipe came from my Aunt Etie. Either way, these are the best refried beans I've ever had! And it makes quite a bit. So I put them in containers and freeze them!

  • 1 onion, peeled & halved
  • 3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
  • 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded & chopped
  • 2 TBSP minced garlic
  • 1 TBSP salt
  • 1 3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp ground cumin, optional
  • 9 cups water
Directions:
  1. Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker. Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on high for 8 hours.
  2. Once the beans have cooked, strain them and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved liquid as needed to attain desired consistency.  (my sister in law likes these NOT mashed, just like pinto beans. So in that case, I would chop the onion)
And that's it!! SOOO yummy, and so easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment